Written by: Jen Hanson – Lakewinds Food Content Coordinator
Looking for a healthy snack for the kids? Maybe you’re short on time and need something quick in the car, a few items to keep in the pantry to satisfy their afternoon hunger pangs, or snack ideas that the kids can put together themselves…whatever the reason, chances are you’ll need it to be easy and convenient.
On a recent visit to the Minnetonka store I tried to find as many kids snack “pairings” as I could; could I buy just 2 items to put together a healthy, affordable, quick & easy-to-prepare snack to satisfy any hungry kid. Here’s what I came up with. I even picked up a few of these combinations and tried them out with my niece and nephew during a recent visit and I have to say that they were all hits! The kids were just as excited to help prepare them as they were to eat them.
- Kale chips, pick up Kale and your seasoning of choice from our bulk aisle to create this perennial kid favorite. Try smoked paprika to create a barbecue flavor or nutritional yeast for a cheesy chip.
My 4-year-old nephew Soren had a blast ripping apart the kale leaves and sprinkling on the toppings.
- Fresh fruit and individual yogurt cups to dip
- Tortillas & nut butter (add banana), spread butter on tortilla and either roll up or fold in half for a “dessert quesadilla”
- Tortilla and hummus, spread hummus on tortilla, rollup, and slice for “kid’s sushi” (if the kids don’t like hummus, try this with one of our deli spreads or even chicken salad)
- Baby carrots and hummus, we carry nearly 20 varieties of hummus so hopefully one will please even the most discriminating young palate! (Again, if your child doesn’t like hummus, how about a cup of plain Greek yogurt for dipping?)
- Premade pizza crust + shredded cheese + 5 minutes in the oven = homemade cheesebread! I use Rustic Crust brand because they make both traditional and gluten-free in addition to offering single serve crusts perfect for smaller appetites!
The cheesebread was definitely the kids’ favorite. I’m not sure what Soren liked more, the cheesebread or eating the cheese straight from the bag.
- Quick lunch on-the-go: Lakewinds lunch kits (available in our deli cooler) and a beverage from the grab-&-go cooler(single serve milks, juices, smoothies, coconut waters)
- Justin’s almond butter (we have them in single serve packets) and an apple
- Yogurt cup and a cup of granola from the bulk aisle
- Quick 2-ingredient sweet & salty trail mix; choose one dried fruit from bulk and a nut or cereal. Some of our favorite combos: raisins and sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and corn flakes, banana chips and almonds. Great because you can buy these bulk ingredients in any amount, small or large.
- Popcorn sprinkled with nutritional yeast – tastes just like cheesy bagged popcorn but much better for you
- Good Health Natural Foods Veggie Stix (in our snack aisle) with plain Greek yogurt for dip
- Annie’s bunny grahams and raisins
- Grass Run Farms beef sticks and Eichten’s string cheese – for on-the-go snacking
This combination is the perfect portable snack for your next roadtrip, but we love it any time!
- 2 ingredient smoothies: frozen fruit and yogurt or milk
- GoGo Squeeze applesauce (in grocery), YoKids squeezers yogurt (in dairy), and Probugs kefir (in dairy) all come in handy single-serve pouches that are perfect for a car ride or the lunchbox. Pair them with some Annie’s cheddar bunnies.
- Kids like sweet and salty combinations too, how about pretzels with Nocciolata hazelnut and chocolate spread to dip in? (Just make it very clear to the kids that they HAVE TO SHARE! Trust me, you’ll go nuts for this combination too!)